Monday, December 3, 2018

errorformat for Visual Studio 2017

Hi,

I just solved a minor issue which someone else may have as well, so here it is:

I sometimes take the compiler output from Visual Studio and read it into Vim with a :cfile command so I can fix the errors in Vim.  I have been using

set errorformat=%*[0-9]%*[>]\ %#%f(%l)\ :\ %m

which someone on the list provided me with many years ago, and it worked fine in VS2008.

I just tried the same thing in VS2017, and I wasn't getting sent to any errors.
A comparison of the output format from VS2017 with that from VS2008 showed that the space before the colon after the file name has been removed, i.e.

VS2008:
1>c:\somepath\somefile.c(16) : warning C4101: 'var': unreferenced local variable

VS2017:
1>c:\somepath\somefile.c(16): warning C4101: 'var': unreferenced local variable

Changing to

set errorformat=%*[0-9]%*[>]\ %#%f(%l):\ %m

made it work again.

Of course, this may change again, but once you are aware of the issue it is possible to deal with it.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Ephraim

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: