Saturday, December 1, 2018

Re: Typing Persian (Farsi) in Vim

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 3:40 AM Bahman Eslami <eslami.bahman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Bram and Tony,
>
> I found the problem! :) In short the solution was to 'set termbidi' in the vimrc file and I had to remove any vim configuration files and folders. Previously my vim was acting so strangely when I built it using brew and was typing Persian and it was inserting question marks. To fix it I deleted the .vim folder and and also the .vimrc file and build the vim from scratch. So I got a fresh vim install, then I started to try the solutions Tony described, because what you said made me realise I was doing something different from you. So the problem I guess was vim not recognising the terminal. Now it's working great just like I expect it when I 'set termbidi' in the vimrc file. I couldn't make it work in the iTerm though which is not a bidi terminal. Sorry for taking you time again.

Indeed, full-bidi (e.g. displaying on the same line Arabic-script text
in RTL direction and Latin-script text in LTR) is not possible in Vim
alone, even if compiled with +rightleft and +arabic, it needs
cooperation of a full-bidi-capable terminal, and it needs to know that
the terminal can display full-bidi text (the latter is the /raison
d'être/ of the 'termbidi' option). When Vim is not running in a
full-bidi terminal, it can display all text in either LTR or RTL, even
both in /different/ windows displaying the same file, but not both in
the same window. I'm happy to know that you finally made it work.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Bahman

You're welcome, and Best regards,
Tony.
>
> On 1 Dec 2018, at 11:50, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net> wrote:
>
>
> Bahman Eslami wrote:
>
> Sorry for late reply and also taking your time on this,
>
> Tony:
> I added the configuration as you mentioned. After that when I typed Persian everything got typed as question marks and still as before every character I typed resulted in more than one character. So I still prefer to have the feature 'arabic' and 'persian' off. Sorry but thanks!
>
> Bram:
> Maybe I didn't understand you question correctly? I cloned the vim
> from GitHub and without any changes to the source if I build it using
> the 'huge' feature, it includes +arabic and +farsi. Even if I use
> homebrew to install it I get those features. According to this
> <http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/vimfeat.html> vim includes
> 'farsi' and 'arabic' in the 'huge' features. I don't explicitly add
> 'arabic' nor 'farsi' since I don't know how it's done without changing
> the feature and config file in the src. I hope this answered the
> question.
>
>
> Yes, I understand that your Vim is build with +arabic and +farsi. That
> is fine, I also build with these features.
>
> The question is: When Vim has these features, what is different from a
> Vim without these features? Both Vim binaries should do exactly the
> same thing, unless you set options such as 'arabic' and 'fkmap'. Are
> these options set automatically for you perhaps? Try this:
>
> verbose set arabic? fkmap?
>
> Or just try disabling them:
>
> verbose set noarabic norightleft nofkmap
>
>
> --
> LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (The Times of London)
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am firmly opposed to the spread of microchips either to the home or
> to the office. We have more than enough of them foisted upon us in
> public places. They are a disgusting Americanism, and can only result
> in the farmers being forced to grow smaller potatoes, which in turn
> will cause massive unemployment in the already severely depressed
> agricultural industry.
>
> Yours faithfully,
> Capt. Quinton D'Arcy, J. P.
> Sevenoaks
>
> /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
> /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
> \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
>
>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: