Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Re: When I enter !ls the vimrun.exe does not find /bin/tcsh

Thank you that solved everything.

Andy

On Aug 30, 4:12 am, Gary Johnson <garyj...@spocom.com> wrote:
> On 2009-08-29, chiefenne wrote:
> > When I enter !ls the vimrun.exe does not find /bin/tcsh
>
> > I use the Windows GUI version of vim (7.2).
> > I also run cygwin, I start the Windows vim version via cygwin with an
> > alias.
>
> > I cannot escape to the shell using e.g.:
>
> > :!ls
>
> > I always get something like:
>
> > /bin/tcsh -c "ls"
>
> > The system cannot find the specified path.
>
> > Seems that something in my environment, either Windows or cygwin is
> > wrong.
>
> Since you're running Cygwin, and since your shell is /bin/tcsh, your
> environment probably contains
>
>     SHELL=/bin/tcsh
>
> Per
>
>     :help startup
>
> Windows vim sees that value of SHELL and sets 'shell' accordingly,
> which it then uses whenever you execute a command that requires a
> shell, such as ":!ls".  However, non-Cygwin programs including
> Windows vim don't understand full Cygwin paths and don't see the /bin
> directory.
>
> There are probably several ways to solve this problem, but what I've
> done is to put these lines early in my .vimrc:
>
>     if has("win32") && $SHELL == "/bin/bash" && executable("C:/cygwin/bin/bash")
>         " Running in Cygwin.
>
>         if executable("C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe")
>             let $SHELL=''
>             set shell=C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe
>                                         " Unlike other places in
>                                         " Vim, the 'shell' path must
>                                         " use backslashes.  I don't
>                                         " know why.
>         endif
>     endif
>
> You'll want to change my /bin/bash to /bin/tcsh.
>
> HTH,
> Gary
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: