Monday, January 4, 2010

Re: exiting, quitting

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:44:11AM EST, Ben Fritz wrote:
> On Jan 3, 4:09 pm, Chris Jones <cjns1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The only problem, is that after a while the buffer list in a long
> > running instance of vim may become so large as to be unmanageable.

> This is one reason that I tend to organize my work into tab pages
> (often each having multiple split windows). I rarely if ever pay
> attention to the buffer list.

Hmm.. one scenario is that I have one tab open for project number one
and I am going back and forth between some 6-8 files/buffers, which is a
bit more than I could make visible on my display at the same time.

I guess I could spread them out over several tabs, but I tend to prefer
sticking to just one tab for each project and bringing back recently
visited buffers that via a :ls followed by a :bnn - and issue a Ctrl-O
when I'm done with it and want to bring back the prior content of the
window.

> Yes, I know tabs aren't buffers, and I'm not trying to force them to
> act as such. They're just a convenient way to organize my work.

I guess an working solution is always going to be in the form of a
tradeoff that privileges what one particular user feels is important
over what matters less to him. I use both tabs and the buffer list, but
in essence, I find tabs rather less flexible that buffers because since
tabs have to take into account the physical constraints of my display's
size, I have to be careful or else quickly find myself with just too
many of them open for comfort - since the tabline does not scroll, ten
to twelve tabs is just about the maximum that I can fit on my 232
columns display. Also, something about my working habits causes lots of
[No Name] empty buffers to be created, which I have to look into and
correct - quite annoying really, because I can't think of a better way
to figure out what's happening than doing my stuff in slow motion.

Thank you for your comments,

CJ

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: