Saturday, January 2, 2010

Re: exiting, quitting

Dennis German wrote:
> Happy New Year to all. :w
>
> An earlier post mentioned having files ending up with
> :q in them.
>
> When I'm done editing, I always use :x and
> only use :q when I didn't make any changes
> ( of course :q! when I didn't mean to make any changes).
> Is this just a matter of personal preference and
> does everyone else use :w:q or something else??
>

I use :q because it gives me more control. When I program, it's not
unusual for me to have several instances of gvim running, each with two
or three files opened. This is to coordinate the activities that are
distributed among them. But when things finally work, any pending
changes are not part of the test. :q will complain if there are any
unwritten changes. I then do u^R to move the cursor to the last change
and decide if I want to keep it.


--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn

Programming is as much about organization and communication
as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: