Saturday, January 2, 2010

Re: exiting, quitting

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:19:50AM EST, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> Dennis German wrote:
> > Happy New Year to all. :w
> >
> > An earlier post mentioned having files ending up with
> > :q in them.
> >
> > When I'm done editing, I always use :x and
> > only use :q when I didn't make any changes
> > ( of course :q! when I didn't mean to make any changes).
> > Is this just a matter of personal preference and
> > does everyone else use :w:q or something else??
> >
>
> I use :q because it gives me more control. When I program, it's not
> unusual for me to have several instances of gvim running, each with two
> or three files opened. This is to coordinate the activities that are
> distributed among them. But when things finally work, any pending
> changes are not part of the test. :q will complain if there are any
> unwritten changes. I then do u^R to move the cursor to the last change
> and decide if I want to keep it.

I try to stick to just one vim instance and basically never quit..

What I do is that I periodically take a look at my buffer list and issue
a bunch of :bw commands for those buffers I know I won't need in the
foreseeable future.

CJ

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: