Sunday, January 24, 2010

Re: How powerful is language build in vim compare with the language build in emacs?

On 25/01/10 06:13, Peng Yu wrote:
> I have learned neither the language for vim scripting nor the language
> for emacs scripting (which is lisp, right?). (I know mit-scheme, but I
> have never used emacs) May I ask the following questions?
>
> I know Lisp is very powerful. Is the language in vim as powerful?
>
> For what type of tasks, it is more difficult to do in vim scripting
> language than lisp in emacs? And for what type of tasks, it is easier
> to do in vim scripting language than lisp in emacs?
>

I don't know. I've seen some Lisp program sources, which AFAICT looked
like a soup of parentheses. Vim script, OTOH, is (to my mind) much
easier to read, and its commands are the "ex-commands" which you can
type at the command-line (where you get by hitting a colon in Normal
mode), including the commands you define. I'd say Vim script belongs to
the family of "structured languages" descended from ALGOL and which
includes C (I think) and Unix shell script.

See for instance ":help design-not" for a few examples of what Vim is
*not* meant to do.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
247. You use www.switchboard.com instead of dialing 411 and 555-12-12
for directory assistance.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: