Sunday, February 27, 2011

Re: Help! how to check viminfo for errors?

> Yes, I manually correct the viminfo file, and within days or hours
> another format error occurs, within a line of viminfo. My friend also
> reports that line numbers for named marks are not correctly set, as he
> edits. Somehow, vim is writing bad lines to viminfo, when my friend
> quits vim.

I think this is what is baffling us. I'm not sure anyone else has
experienced or reported such a problem. Our viminfo files are written
and read just fine unless we experience something like a hardware
failure.

I wonder if it's something to do with how Vim is quit if/when the modem
hangs up (e.g. if it hangs up unexpectedly). Maybe vim is signalled to
quit, starts writing viminfo, and then is killed before it finishes.
That might explain it.

If we had a better idea what was causing the problem, we'd be in a much
better position to solve it.

What version of Vim is running? I suppose you're not in a position to
run a different version, either?

> One possibility: my friend has the (bad) habit of using unix to switch
> between edited files. That is, he runs many instances of vim,
> suspending one with Ctrl-Z to leave one file, and using the shell's
> jobs and fg command to enter another file, by bring a suspended vim
> back to life in the foreground.

I don't think this would be the problem. I do that kind of thing all the
time, too. Vim is meant to work in situations like that.

Ben.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: