Sunday, February 27, 2011

Re: using the help system in split screen mode

> When I am editing a file rather than displaying a help subject, I issue
> a ':vhl topic' command (with vhl mapped to ':vertical help', and Vim
> vertically splits the screen and displays the topic's help file in
> a separate window, so that the buffer I am editing remains visible.
>
> Unfortunately, when I already have a help window open in the current
> tab, this does not work.

This is a little more complicated, but I'm sure you can :map or :command
or :cabbrev it:

:vnew | set bt=help | help subject

It basically does a vertical split and avoids reusing an existing help
window by setting the buffer type so Vim thinks you're already reading
help in that window.

Is that what you were after?

Ben.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: