Sunday, February 27, 2011

Re: Remember marks but Not Jumps?

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, howard Schwartz wrote:

> I just know many will think Im wrong, but I never had much use of the
> jumplist. Any way to tell vim to remember marks between sessions but
> not jumps? Jumps occupy a lot of lines of info. I never use. Only way
> I can think of is to menually edit .viminfo and remove the + lines.
>
> Lord - what if I defined an autocommand to delete + lines in .viminfo,
> whenever I exited vim? Would paralel universes clash?

Why do you want to do this? What benefit do you gain from removing the
jump info from .viminfo? I rarely use the jumplist myself, but keeping
it in the file for the last 100 edited files only occupies about 3KB
(.viminfo total ~18KB, lines starting with spaces then '+', about 3KB).

If you're doing it to keep .viminfo somehow "cleaner", I again question
your motives. There might be another problem you're approaching from
the wrong direction (or at least an "odd" one). Manually inspecting or
modifying .viminfo is usually not the right approach.

--
Best,
Ben

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: