Thursday, February 24, 2011

Re: text substitution for all the files opened in vim

On 02/24/2011 09:07 AM, David Kahn wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Christian Brabandt<cblists@256bit.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, February 24, 2011 1:03 pm, Tim Chase wrote:
>>> On 02/23/2011 11:20 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
>>>> :help :argdo
>>>> :help :bufdo
>>>
>>> ...remembering that vim will complain if you try to leave a
>>> modified buffer unless you
>>>
>>> 1) save the buffer as part of your command:
>>>
>>> :bufdo %s/foo/bar/g|w
>>>
>>> 2) set 'hidden' to allow vim to leave a modified buffer:
>>>
>>> :set hidden
>>> :bufdo %s/foo/bar/g
>>> <review changes to make sure they're what you want>
>>> :wall
>>
>> or
>> 3) set 'autowriteall' which will automatically write your unsaved
>> changes. (Not that I think it is a good idea...)
>>
>
> Also, I am sure you know this and not exactly what you are looking for, but
> I have found using vimgrep and then using the cw command to show matches in
> a window, then making the edits manually or on per file basis.

I don't trust myself (at least on anything important) with either
the "write as you go |w suffix" option or the 'autowriteall'
(that option makes me shudder a little), so I usually use the
'hidden' option, allowing me to go back and see what I
modified^Wscrewed up before I commit the changes to disk.

Fortunately, restoring is usually as simple as either

:bufdo e!

or

:bufdo u

depending on the state of things.

-tim


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: