Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Re: Installing on OSX 10.4.7

On 8/31/2011 8:44 AM, David Fishburn wrote:
> I have the original AppleTVs which I have installed XBMC on to use a
> media center.
>
> During setup and tweaking I login to this box via SSH and have to
> tweak some files.
> Currently I have to use nano to do this and it is killing me.
>
> So, not GUI, pure console.
> I have never used OSX before, especially console only.
>
> Could someone give me some instruction on what package I need to
> download and how to install it from a console to get some version
> (does not have to be 7) of it running on these boxes.

I have made some headway on this but have run into a roadblock.

This site has Vim for OSX 10.4.7 (Tiger)

Download Vim for OSX 10.4 (Tiger) from here:
http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php
vim7.0.224.tar.bz2

Installation was fairly simple:
tar xf vim7.0.224.tar
cd vim70
mv Vim.app /Applications/Vim.app


This is where the problem starts.
As I am trying to use this from the console (only), the site also
provides a shell script to be used to launch Vim.

Also download http://macvim.org/OSX/files/gvim ->
This I copied to /usr/bin/gvim

When I attempt to use it I get:

-bash-2.05b$ ./gvim
./gvim: line 1: basename: command not found
dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap


The script only references basename once:

# Next, peek at the name used to invoke this script, and set options
# accordingly.
name="`basename "$0"`"


I don't see anything wrong with that, nor do I really know what it is for.

If anyone has some suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: