Saturday, December 31, 2011

:view with split first?

I regularly find myself doing the following sequence:

:vnew
:view some_readonly_file.txt

in order to avoid the "a swap-file already exists" or "this file
is RO" messages.

While I know I can create a ":View" command to do this for me, I
was wondering if there was something built-in I missed. Perhaps
like the ":vert" prefix, if there was a "and put the following
results in a new window" prefix that I missed or a flag for
":vsp" to specify that the file should be opened RO? I'd expect
it to looks something like

:vnew ++readonly some_readonly_file.txt
:vert view some_readonly_file.txt

For now, I just have

:command -nargs=1 -complete=file Vsp vnew|view <args>

which does the job. I just felt like I was missing something
that Vim might provide.

-tim


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: