Saturday, June 30, 2012

Re: How did I get two instances of vim?

On Jun 30, 2012 at 06:39 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
>Again, I could be overlooking something, but none of your
>suggestions---improper shut down, etc.---rings a bell. All I know is
>when I deleted all those swap files and started closing the session
>before quitting vim, I haven't had the problem.

You really shouldn't have to manually delete swap files if you are
saving and closing your files properly. Something is amiss. You should
ask the list directly about that.

>I'm puzzled how there could be instances of vim running that don't show
>up anywhere, at least in the places I would expect them---in the menu
>bar, minimized on the desktop, in Activity Monitor.

They aren't necessarily running. I'm not sure how Vim records that it
has instances up and running, but if it fails to record that an
instances has CLOSED, then it might think the VIM instance is
active (and it's not), so when you start up a new instance, you get
VIM1.

To me, the signs point that your installation of Vim isn't doing proper
housekeeping when you shut things down. Maybe session.vim is involved,
maybe not. You could deactivate it and see the swap file behavior is
different. You could also keep an eye out on your instance names with
it deactivated. The only time you should see VIM1 is if you start up a
second instance while one is already running.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: