Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Re: Where in the manual are i, o, and a as in ciw cow caw?

On 06/27/12 15:22, Charles Campbell wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>> :help aw
>> :help iw
>>
>> There is no "ow" that I know of.
>>
> So ... vim doesn't have a cow???
>
> Maybe we should vote on a cow for vim.

I've always wondered why "a" was chosen instead of "o" for the
text-object. Like "a", it doesn't seem to currently have a use in
the context of a motion (typing "co" bells at me, and returns to
normal mode rather than moving or pending another character), but it
also has a nice parity of "i"nner vs. "o"uter.

That said, alas, tradition is now too deeply involved.

On yet one more level of removal from the original topic, I've
occasionally wondered if I type secret messages to myself in Vim.
There was a thread on this a while ago (a year or 5?), discussing
sentences that, when typed, actually perform something useful in Vim.

-tim



--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: