Saturday, June 30, 2012

Re: How did I get two instances of vim?

On Jun 30, 2012, at 9:53 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

> To me, the signs point that your installation of Vim isn't doing proper housekeeping when you shut things down. Maybe session.vim is involved, maybe not. You could deactivate it and see the swap file behavior is different. You could also keep an eye out on your instance names with it deactivated. The only time you should see VIM1 is if you start up a second instance while one is already running.

I can produce the symptoms---multiple instances of vim, persisting swap files. I can do it reliably. Write all my files. Then quit vim without closing the session that was loaded.

When I do that the vim process in Activity Monitor persists. The swap files for all the files included in the session persist. The next time vim is started it starts as vim1. The default session will not be loaded automatically. A second set of swap files will be created when I do OpenSession manually.

If I go through the same process with vim1 as I did with vim, the same thing happens. The two vim processes in Activity Monitor persist. The swap files persist. The next time vim is started it starts as vim2. Etc., etc., etc.

If I close the session before quitting vim, the symptoms don't occur. If I don't, they do.

My conclusion: Quitting vim without closing the open session causes the problem.

Again, I could not have discovered this without your initial suggestions. So thank you again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone,
men would die from a great loneliness of spirit."

- Chief Seattle






--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: