Saturday, October 27, 2012

Vim slow on high resolutions

I have a 2560x1600 resolution on my Ubuntu Linux machine and am using gVim. The problem I have is that it sometimes becomes painfully slow to switch tabs, for example. I also used to have a problem with slow scrolling which was eliminated by setting Vim to not highlight the current line. Still other problems remain and they disappear only when the window is made smaller (e.g. not fullscreen).

My understanding is that this happens because Vim has to redraw the screen and and it takes a while, especially if I have two windows (:vsp) in one of the tabs. It looks like syntax highlighting is one reason, but even with it turned off, Vim is still slow.

I've seen Mac users complaining about virtually the same thing, so I don't think it's a Linux specific problem.

I have an advanced graphic card and a good processor power, yet this doesn't help. I think something should be done about this, we are no longer living in times when people use 1280 resolutions.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: