Monday, June 3, 2013

Re: How to fix <h1> id strings?


On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:52 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Using snipMate, <h1> items have id strings that are the same as their
text, meaning the id string has spaces.

        <h1 id="My h1 item">My h1 item</h1>

This is an HTML4 no-no, so I want to create a Vim something or other so
that, when my cursor is between the quotes delineating the id's value,
it replaces all spaces with underscores.


Since you are new to Vim, it is best to start learning some of Vim's motion commands.
:h motion.txt 
And read through the entire thing.
Find a couple that you might think, start using them regularly.
Then read it again, find another one and start using them.

To answer your question, in Vim, you can do this:
        <h1 id="My h1 item">My h1 item</h1>
                          ^ Cursor is here
vi"
v - start character-wise visual mode.
i" - select the text between the quotes (not including the quotes)

Then you can operate on that visual selection.
:'<,'>s/ /_/g


Another, possibly more useful thing I could do, would be to modify
snipMate's <h1> snippet so I type the visible text and the id follows,
instead of vice versa. I know how to do that. But then I'd need to have
the id replace the spaces with underscores realtime, and I don't know
how to do that.

Haven't used snipMate.
Did spend some time on UltiSnips, which apparently can also use snipMates templates. 

HTH,
David

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments: