Saturday, June 1, 2013

Re: Relative line numbering and current line

On Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:13:56 PM UTC-5, Grant wrote:
> I've been distressed by the direction the discussion on the addition
>
> of the absolute line number to the relative line number functionality
>
> has gone. More specifically, I don't see enough champions of relative
>
> numbering fighting to keep it useful and economical and I'm afraid the
>
> discussion with die before fixing the current state of things.
>
> Perhaps the problem is that relative number users are too small a
>
> minority to fight for themselves. The addition of the current
>
> absolute line number to relative line numbering is a serious usability
>
> regression for relative numbering and I would hate for it to make it
>
> into 7.4 as it is.
>

I use relative numbering all the time. Before, I occasionally had to switch back and forth between that and absolute. Now, I almost never need to. I LIKE the absolute number. And I rarely notice either numbering at all, except for when I need it. I think "serious usability regression" is a huge overstatement.

But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple patches submitted for both of these methods.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: