Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Re: Avoiding gvim message box from echomsg in vimrc

On 09/10/13 18:02, Crestez Dan Leonard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My vimrc sometimes does echomsg on startup. With console vim I get a
> "Press ENTER" prompt, which is OK. With GUI vim I get a modal message
> box instead. I want to get rid of that message box but still preserve
> the messages (in the :messages prompt). I particularly dislike the fact
> that if echomsg later I don't get a message box, this seems very
> inconsistent.
>
> I tried to set guioptions+=c. With vim-gnome I no longer get a message
> box, but I get a double "Press ENTER" prompt with no visible messages.

I also am on gvim with gtk2/Gnome2 and my 'guioptions' is set to gimrLtc
but I don't see the above symptoms. My 'cmdheight' is set to 2, see below.

Are you sure there are no syntax errors, and no Floats, Dictionaries or
Lists, in the arguments of your :echomsg? Also, see in the help the
difference between :echo and :echomsg in the treatment of unprintable
characters.

> With windows vim this seems to have no effect. Is this a bug?
>
> Using :silent or plain :echo would work, but I want to keep the messages.
>
> I think the best solution would be to have a scriptable way to clear the
> "Press ENTER" prompt and any random point, but I found no way to do this.

Try

if &cmdheight < 2
set ch=2
endif

This should avoid the hit-ENTER message when the message is only a
single line.

See also :help :echo-redraw


Best regards,
Tony.
--
The average nutritional value of promises is roughly zero.

>
> --
> Regards,
> Leonard

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: