Monday, June 9, 2014

Re: Migrating from Evil to Vim

You wrote:

Em domingo, 8 de junho de 2014 23h56min18s UTC-3, Eric Christopherson escreveu:
> Hi, Rosangela.

> As far as I can tell, your fn function is executed as Emacs Lisp rather than Common Lisp. In any event, though, I would hesitate to use that code for Chinese, since it can only do a one-to-one mapping of pinyin to hanzi; your two example words don't even indicate tone, and even with tone indicated you would have some words that sound the same with different hanzi.

Hi, Eric

The pinyin to hanzi converter that I use is quite good. Of course you need to know Chinese to use it. The program presents a list of ideograms (hanzi, hanja or kanji, since it works for Japanese and Korean as well) to choose from. It is useful for me, since I know enough about the Chinese syntax to communicate.

Since you seem to speak Chinese, you know that words are combinations of two or more ideograms. The pinyin to hanzi converter use its spelling dictionary to eliminate part of the ambiguity. It accepts pinyin with and without diacritics. I use this pinyin to hanzi converter because it is integrated to the editor, and I can type the text before it starts making the conversion. I don't like systems that convert while one types.

By the way, I never send a petition or pleading or contract before having it checked by a Chinese associate lawyer. Well, when I don't find a Chinese lawyer, I ask for help from the owners of my favorite veggie restaurant :-)

Chinese is an old language, and court language is full of ancient expressions and ideograms (hanzis). I think that the Chinese government should modernize their court proceedings. When I express this opinion, my Chinese colleagues argue that we should stop using Latin as well.


You wrote:

> I wouldn't conclude that Vim is *inherently* vastly superior; it's just that Evil has fewer features at the moment because it hasn't been developed as long. It is, however, extensible in a way similar to Vim (albeit in a different scripting language). Again, I wonder if you really need to switch.

I use cloud computing a lot. My site is in a cloud. Emacs is installed everywhere, but not with Evil. As I told before, my knowledge about computers is very basic. American lawyers have a much better education than Latin American lawyers. Their knowledge of Latin is much deeper; that is interesting, Latin American lawyers speak Romance languages, but Germans, Austrians and Americans have a deeper knowledge of Latin. Besides this, American lawyers usually know how to use computers well. For me it is a nuisance to install Evil whenever I arrived at a place.

Besides this, Evil does not come as a single package. You need evil-leader, key-chord, evil-numbers, etc. One needs also to remap movement keys to visual lines, etc. Another problem is that Evil does not come with a help system. I often need to enter Vim to learn how things work. I suppose that Evil will become very good with time, and will be integrated with Emacs, like Viper. Right now, it is distributed piecemeal. And don't have a help.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: