Monday, November 3, 2014

Re: cygwin vim doesn't know app bindings to file exensions?

On 2014-11-03, Paul wrote:
> I am using gvim for Windows as well as [g]vim for Cygwin64 (64-bit
> cygwin). The netrw version for both is 149.
>
> 1) When I use gvim for Windows, I can position the cursor on a file
> and press "x" to launch it by whatever Windows app is associated
> with the file type.
>
> 2) When I use gvim for Cygwin's X-windows, nothing happens when I
> press "x" other than the message to Press <CR> to continue.
>
> 3) When I use Cygwin's vim and press "x", vim gets put into the
> background and I have to use shell commands to bring it back to the
> foreground. The file is not launched.

I don't see that. For me, just nothing happens.

> It seems like the Cygwin64 impementation isn't set up to recognize
> Windows bindings of apps to file types. Is this correct?

I don't know what Chip would consider the "right" solution for this,
but using

:let g:netrw_browsex_viewer='cygstart'

works well for Cygwin's terminal vim. I think that would work for
CygwinX, too, if you want your files opened by Windows applications
rather than by X applications.

Of course, you can set that conditionally in your .vimrc with
something like this:

if has("win32unix")
let g:netrw_browsex_viewer='cygstart'
endif

Modify to suit.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: