Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Re: vim and touch typing

On 2015-10-06 01:01, Filype Pereira wrote:
> If you had to do the same, what do you recommend is the best way to
> learn how to touch type?

Well, while I learned in elementary/middle school using a typing tutor
program on the Apple ][e back in the 80s(*), the idea of "Typing of
the Dead" cracked me up. It's a first-person shooter where the enemy
zombies all have words on them, and to shoot them, you have to type
the word.

https://www.google.com/search?q=typing+of+the+dead

A lot more fun that the tedious nature of most typing programs.

-tim


(*) Funny story: it was a non-graphical console-based typing program,
so I, troublemaker that I was, spent my enrichment periods creating
an exact clone of the typing program except that, with the press of
one key, the entire line would type itself and give you some random
word-per-minute count over 100. I used it occasionally to get out of
the tedium that was typing class. On the last week of class, I
revealed it to my typing instructor by hitting a key and wiggling my
fingers 6" above the keyboard never making contact with the keys.
The look on her face was priceless. They were still using the same
software when my sister came through 4 years later, so I bequeathed
my floppy of Applesoft BASIC code to her. But by the time my brother
came through, they'd switched software for some reason.


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: