Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Re: vim and touch typing

2015-10-06 11:01 GMT+03:00 Filype Pereira <pereira.filype@gmail.com>:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to vim. I know most of the motion and command stuff but I just don't use them enough.
>
> So, I started reading a vim book and didn't get very far, when I stopped at this line:
>
>> If you can't touch type, then go learn it and then come back to learn vim.
>
> I have not thought about it so much before, So that's what I am doing now.
>
> If you had to do the same, what do you recommend is the best way to learn how to touch type?

I used no tutors or something like this. Just did two things:

1. Printed programming dvorak keyboard layout and hanged it below the monitor.
2. Changed used layout to programming dvorak so I have no keys to look
at on the keyboard.

As a first excercise then I was typing my password with 30-seconds
limit in linux framebuffer (I did not know about the limit though, but
that did not make me give up) (by "linux framebuffer" I mean kernel
<C-A-F1..6> terminals (on most systems, it is generally possible to
make X server occupy some terminal above or below <C-A-F7>)).

Was unable to complete any tutors I tried since then because they were
mostly dumb. Actually writing something useful is the best practice.
Though I know where can I find a lot of people which can type faster
then I… if they have something to type: thinking speed is more
limiting then typing speed.

>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: