Friday, October 9, 2015

Re: Where does gvim look for fonts in cygwin x-windows

Paul <Paul.Domaskis <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I always found the X-windows fonts a bit of a mystery. Xfontsel shows
> a cryptic font naming convention with fields that I've never been able
> to find a complete and satisfactory explanation for. But I'm sure
> that font design is complicated business, so my cmoplaint boils down
> to the fact that there seems to be a dearth of online documentation
> that makes this art accessible and comprehensible to the knuckle
> dragging joe.
>
> However.
>
> I'm finding that cygwin's gvim no longer seems to use the same cryptic
> font names as xfontsel. They are much simpler names. So it seems
> that gvim doesn't use the X-window fonts. I'm at a loss for how to
> select cygwin packages that will expand my font options in gvim. Can
> anyone please explain?

Here's the clincher. My xterm uses the following fonts:

xterm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
xterm*font1: -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

If I try the following 2 commands in gvim, I get the same strange,
widely-spaced font that looks nothing like the xterm.

:set guifont=-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
:set guifont=-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I confirmed that the following generates 1:

echo has("x11")

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: