Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Re: How to fix broken automatic indentation in vim

Gary,

thanks for your effort in trying to help me find the problem. Did you try to
format the file using your vim installation? I'd like to confirm that the
problem really is not with my vim installation but with the plugin itself as
you suspect. If the problem is with the plugin I will try to contact the
author and hopefully he'll be able to help me.

BTW, the file with which I have the problem uses the VHDL-93 syntax (which
is the latest widely used syntax, BTW).

Cheers,

Didly


Gary Johnson-4 wrote:
>
> I don't know VHDL, but I see those problems you pointed out and it
> doesn't seem right to me, either.
>
>> I think that perhaps I originally had 2 problems. One was probably caused
>> by
>> something on my .vimrc setup, but there seems to be something else.
>>
>> Could there be some problem related to the format of the file? Some of
>> these
>> files have been edited in Windows and in Linux. Could there be some mix
>> of
>> line endings that could confuse vim somehow? When I open the file I do
>> not
>> see any "^M" symbol on the line endings so I assumed that their format
>> was
>> correct.
>
> As long as you don't see any ^Ms, the file uses only Unix or only
> DOS line endings and you should be OK.
>
> I don't know what the problem is, but it seems to be in the indent
> plugin and not with your configuration. I looked briefly at the
> plugin, $VIMRUNTIME/indent/vhdl.vim, and didn't see anything obvious
> in the way of settings that would affect these issues. You might
> have a look and see what you think. The author's name and address
> are in that file so you might try contacting him directly. That
> file says that it supports the "'93 syntax" if that means anything
> to you. The plugin I have also says that it is version 1.54, last
> changed on 2007 Aug 17.
>
> Regards,
> Gary
>
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
>

--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/How-to-fix-broken-automatic-indentation-in-vim-tp28379120p28391063.html
Sent from the Vim - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: