Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Re: How to fix broken automatic indentation in vim

Ben,

On the second system in which I tried this I downloaded the Vim 7.2
installer from www.vim.org so I assume that it is as recent as it gets.

Cheers,

Didly


Ben Fritz wrote:
>
>
>
> On Apr 27, 11:29 am, Didlybom <didly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have tried using different combinations of the autoindent, smartindent
>> and
>> cindent settings. After going through these forums I have also made sure
>> that the "syntax", "filetype", "filetype indent" and "filetype plugin
>> indent" are set to on. Still, it does not work. Also, if I do "set
>> syntax?"
>> I get "matlab" for matlab files and "vhdl" for vhdl files which is
>> correct.
>> And if I do "set indentexpr?" I get "GetMatlabIndent(v:lnum)" for matlab
>> files and "GetVHDLindent()" for vhdl files.
>>
>
> I know filetype indent plugins *should* override these options, but in
> general you should NOT set cindent in your .vimrc, you should rely on
> the filetype indent rules to set it for you. You should also not have
> smartindent on in combination with any other indent option. I would
> say you should not have smartindent on at all...but I know there are a
> few people who actually prefer the behavior of this option.
> Regardless, it's supposed to work *instead* of, not in addition to,
> filetype indent rules.
>
> Your indentexpr values indicate the correct rules are being applied,
> but make sure cindent, smartindent, and possibly even autoindent are
> all turned off as well. Also check that 'equalprg' is empty.
>
> Other than that, it may be an error in your indent scripts (though
> this is unlikely). Are your runtime files fairly recent?
>
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> Subscription settings:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/subscribe?hl=en
>
>

--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/How-to-fix-broken-automatic-indentation-in-vim-tp28379120p28386632.html
Sent from the Vim - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: