Monday, April 26, 2010

FAQ question section 11.4

My questions/comments are marked with Me: in the quoted text from the
URL pasted below

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/vimfaq2html3.pl#11.4

11.4. How can I search/replace characters that display as '~R', '~S', etc.?

You can use the 'ga' command to display the ASCII value/code for the
special character. For example, let us say the ASCII value is 142. Then you
can use the following command to search for the special character:

/^V142

where, ^V is entered by pressing CTRL-V.

Me: I tried this for a curly quote. I placed the cursor over one and
pressed ga it showed me 8220 as the ASCII code. I typed:

Me: / then I pressed CTRL-V and got --visual block--
Me: so I tried:
Me: / then I pressed CTRL-v and got ^ then I typed 8220 then I pressed
ENTER and got a capital Y with two dots over it and a zero to the
right.

Me: my command prompt does not produce

Me: /^V8220 like the FAQ example

For more information, read

:help ga --- Me: Read this no problem here
:help using_CTRL_V --- Me: this one is not on my system
:help 24.8 --- Me: Read this and don't understand it. I can't
produce what it is talking about.

Me: I don't understand this. What am I {missing,doing wrong}?

--
If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become
happy. - Thomas Jefferson

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

Subscription settings: http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/subscribe?hl=en

No comments: