Monday, October 25, 2010

Re: Typing is very slow when folding is enabled in Vim 7.3

Thanks Ben, this solves my problem. No more performance issues while
typing.

cheers


On Oct 13, 12:11 am, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 11, 9:20 pm, asgeo1 <googlegro...@asgeo1.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > I upgraded to Vim 7.3 and notice an issue when when folding is
> > enabled. There is considerable lag when typing, such that when I am
> > typing quickly, I can finish a whole sentence before it even appears
> > on the screen!
>
> > I typically only use folding for PHP files, and so I'm only noticing
> > this issue when editing large PHP files, i.e. 1800 lines.  Smaller PHP
> > files (300 lines) there doesn't appear to be much noticeable lag.
>
> > This is what folding settings I have in my vimrc:
>
> > autocmd Filetype * :set nofoldenable
> > autocmd Filetype php :set foldenable
> > set foldmethod=indent
> > set foldlevelstart=1
> > set foldopen-=search
> > set foldopen-=undo
> > let php_folding = 2
>
> Note, the :let php_folding=2 automatically sets foldmethod to 'syntax'
> in the php.vim syntax file, so your :set foldmethod=indent is being
> overwritten. This leads me to wonder whether your two versions of Vim
> have the same version of the syntax file.
>
> > I still have Vim 7.2 installed, and so swapping between both versions
> > I can see the difference in speed and it is quite dramatic when
> > editing large PHP files.
>
> As mentioned, maybe the php.vim syntax file is the culprit. I
> certainly have not noticed any major slowdowns while editing C or perl
> code (I also noticed them in version 7.2). But, my php.vim that came
> with my Vim 7.3.18 installation says it was last updated in 2006.
>
> > Is anyone else able to replicate this issue, or know what changes to
> > my settings could fix the problem.
>
> Try this, to disable folding while in insert mode, until you leave
> insert mode:
>
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Keep_folds_closed_while_inserting_text
>
> No guarantees, but it might help.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: