Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Determining if Vim is running in text-console mode or X Windows

Hi,

I've searched Vim help and Google as well as done lots of
experimentation with no luck.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is put something in my .vimrc file that
can determine if I'm starting Vim in text-console mode or in gnome-terminal.

The reason I need to do this is because I log into FreeBSD in
text-console. If I go into Xorg, I use startx and I use gnome-terminal
in Window Maker.

I need to determine if I'm in text-console mode so I can set the term
setting in my .vimrc file to cons25 and if I startx, I need to set
t_Co=256, term to xterm-256color and set the theme to a nice 256 color
theme.
If I try to use the color settings in console mode, the screen turns red
and the text flashes.


I've tried the following:

if has("x11")
set term=xterm-256color
set t_Co=256
colorscheme calmar256-dark
else
set term=cons25
colorscheme myvim
endif

This didn't work. I've also tried:
if has("gui_running")
if has("gui_gtk2")

nothing works. I've even tried the reverse ways like "if !has", but
still, no luck.


Can someone help me out on this?

TIA,
Steve Laurie


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: