Sunday, February 6, 2011

Re: (Endless!) Make Problems on SunOS

On 02/07/11 09:05, howard Schwartz wrote:
> Steve Laurie wrote:
>
>> Go to http://sunfreeware.com/ and download the pre-built package for
>> your platform/version of SunOS/Solaris
>>
>> EASY!!!
>
> Not so easy - very hard and very frustrating:
>
>
> First I have to decipher the SunOS version given by uname (5.9) and
> translate to the corresponding Solaris version (e.g., 2.9). Then,
> there is no current vim binary for that old a version of Solaris. The
> site only has vim version 6.3 or 4 for that Solaris, and the current
> version is 7.3.
> So if I want the current version, I have to compile it - somehow?
>
> Not to be deterred, I download something called,
> vim-7.3-sol9-sparc-local.gz
> for a later version of Solaris. Maybe I will get lucky and it will run?
> But wait - more trouble. I `un' gzip the file, giving me a single file
> called, vim-7.3-sol9-sparc-local of size, 24 megabytes!
>
> This is clearly an archive package of many files. But no suffix to
> show what kind of compression or software packed it. How to unpack
> this? I try tar, but this does not work. I see this inside the file:
>
> # PaCkAgE DaTaStReAm
> SMCvim 1 49376
> # end of header
>
> I see it wants to use /usr/local as a base directory to unpack, but I
> am not the administrator and can not write to that directory!
>
> So how in the blank, do I unpack this to a directory I can write to?
> What software to use, and what variables to set?
>
>
>
>
> ================================================
> { PLEASE CHANGE YOUR EMAIL CONTACT LIST! }
> { If I am listed as howardb@sfo.com, change my }
> { address to howardb21@gmail.com }
> ================================================
>
You don't unpack it. You pkgadd it:

gunzip vim-7.3-sol9-sparc-local.gz
pkgadd -d vim-7.3-sol9-sparc-local


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: