Monday, February 21, 2011

Re: Using no hard line breaks

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 02:37:33PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> :map <Esc>j gj
> :map <Esc>k gk (¹)
>
> If I have a long line that spans half a dozen or more screen lines for
> instance, I find it a lot easier to depress the left Alt key with my
> left thumb and hit j/k repeatedly (or even keep them depressed) to move
> around than using the standard 'gq' and 'gq'.
>
> It's also more mnemonic where I'm concerned.. I never manage to remember
> gj/gk.. ;-)

Amen to all of that, so I have to snaffle your idea. :-)

Buuuut, I don't understand how <Esc> becomes alt/meta, and my vim needs:

:map <M-j> gj

to gain the described benefit.

Thank you.

Erik

--
If the price of wheat were doubled, a loaf of bread would rise by
2-3 cents. There is more cost in the packaging than in the wheat.
- Heard on NPR, relayed by ABC News Radio, on 04.08.10

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: