Monday, August 1, 2011

Re: swap files reverting my work erroneously

Hi Gary!

On Mo, 01 Aug 2011, Gary Johnson wrote:

> don't put your swap files elsewhere). If you open foo again, Vim
> will tell you that it has found a swap file, etc. Regardless of you
> choice, Vim will use a new swap file for the current buffer, named
> .foo.swo. That file will be deleted at the end of your Vim session
> if you exit normally. The swap file from your previous Vim session,
> .foo.swp, will remain. That's the one you have to delete manually.

I have been thinking lately if it would be a good idea, if Vim would
only create a swap file, when it detects, that a change to the buffer
has been made. But not just when viewing a file.

That is usually what happens a lot to me. I have 1 file open and in
another Vim instance I open the same file again only for viewing, so I
would like to avoid the "Attention" prompt.

On the other hand I can see, that it is certainly useful, if you start
editing a file and immediately Vim warns you, that another Vim instance
is already editing that file. Hm, may be a new option swaponchange or
something?

regards,
Christian

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: