Monday, February 27, 2012

If there is a > in exactly the 80th character, the following lines will be double-quoted after gq

Vim 7.3

I got an email that had > in exactly the 80th column. (I read email in alpine,
with vim as my alternate editor.)

The text was not wrapped, so I gq it. Then it ends up like

>This is the first line of the quoted text and is quoted properly. But there was
>> character right at the 80th line. adf asf asf asf adf adf adf adf as as asf
>> asf asf asf asf asf asf adf adf adf af afd afas ...

Now, the second line being "doubly-quoted" is proper, since the second > was
really part of the text.

However, it seems to me that this means that the vim gq code is simply doing
a "look at the last line.. quote the same as it. It should really have a
"how much should I be quoting" that it kept throughout the gq operation.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: