Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Re: Which runtime files for console vim?

Hi howard!

On Mi, 29 Feb 2012, howard Schwartz wrote:

> >I don't know what your asking, but I am trying to provide you with
> >*something *useful. What exactly are you wanting? What is vim
> >doing instead?
>
> Question 1:
>
> Let me try to be more concrete: Im running gvim (7.0) in console mode only.
> Its runtime directories include these:
>
> autoload colors compiler doc ftplugin icons indent keymap lang macros
> plugin print spell syntax tools tutor dict thesaurus
>
> Which of these directories, or files in them can I eliminate, because I am
> only using textmode? I suspect icons can obviously go, probably ftplugins
> since I will not use ftp, compiler because I will not be compiling source
> code. Some of the menu files in the main runtime directory will not show up in
> a console.

None. Because vim won't load any of them, unless specifically requested.
Well, icons may go, but it won't hurt, if you leave it. It really
doesn't hurt to leave the files as they are.

> What I'm try to do is avoid vim sourcing files that it (or I) will
> never use, or files that might cause problems when gvim is not
> opened in a
> graphics window.

No problem with that. Vim only loads those, when being specifically
requested.

>
> Question 2:
>
> I have defined the dictionary variable in .vimrc, and placed appropriate
> dictionary files in the dict directory. However, when I place the cursor on a
> word like,
>
> take
>
> while in insert mode, and hit ctrl-X ctrl-K I get the message that vim is
> scanning the dictionary files. Then vim gives the message ``back at
> original". I never get a menu of choices or a completion string. Yet I know
> there is a line line this:
>
> take taken, takes, taking -> [taking], took
>
> in one of the dictionary files. Sometimes the screen freezes with a line at the bottom like:
>
> Scanning dictionary XXX
>
> If I hit ctrl-x ctrl-k again at this point, vim crashes with the message:
>
> Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
>
> Vim: Finished.
> Segmentation fault
>
> What am I doing wrong, to enable dictionary completion?

Try a more recent version. If it still crashes, please provide exact
steps how to reproduce the problem (see also the faq:
http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-36.12). See also Gary's
answer.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian
--
Oft sind am besten Menschen dessen größte Tugenden und größte Flecken
unbekannt.
-- Jean Paul

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: