Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Re: Which runtime files for console vim?

> I don't know what your asking, but I am trying to provide you with
> *something *useful. What exactly are you wanting? What is vim doing instead?

Question 1:

Let me try to be more concrete: Im running gvim (7.0) in console mode only.
Its runtime directories include these:

autoload colors compiler doc ftplugin icons indent keymap lang macros
plugin print spell syntax tools tutor dict thesaurus

Which of these directories, or files in them can I eliminate, because I am
only using textmode? I suspect icons can obviously go, probably ftplugins
since I will not use ftp, compiler because I will not be compiling source
code. Some of the menu files in the main runtime directory will not show up in
a console.

What I'm try to do is avoid vim sourcing files that it (or I) will
never use, or files that might cause problems when gvim is not opened in a
graphics window.

Question 2:

I have defined the dictionary variable in .vimrc, and placed appropriate
dictionary files in the dict directory. However, when I place the cursor on a
word like,

take

while in insert mode, and hit ctrl-X ctrl-K I get the message that vim is
scanning the dictionary files. Then vim gives the message ``back at
original". I never get a menu of choices or a completion string. Yet I know
there is a line line this:

take taken, takes, taking -> [taking], took

in one of the dictionary files. Sometimes the screen freezes with a line at the bottom like:

Scanning dictionary XXX

If I hit ctrl-x ctrl-k again at this point, vim crashes with the message:

Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV

Vim: Finished.
Segmentation fault

What am I doing wrong, to enable dictionary completion?

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: