Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Re: Weird cursors behaviour when using vim in terminal in insert mode

Ja I got where is the problem.
I have these keymaps for the completion popmenu:
inoremap <expr> <Esc> pumvisible() ? "\<C-e>" : "\<Esc>"
inoremap <expr> <CR> pumvisible() ? "\<C-y>" : "\<CR>"
inoremap <expr> <Down> pumvisible() ? "\<C-n>" : "\<Down>"
inoremap <expr> <Up> pumvisible() ? "\<C-p>" : "\<Up>"
inoremap <expr> <PageDown> pumvisible() ?
"\<PageDown>\<C-p>\<C-n>" : "\<PageDown>"
inoremap <expr> <PageUp> pumvisible() ? "\<PageUp>\<C-p>\<C-n>"
: "\<PageUp>"

I got them from the vim wiki, so I am not sure why they are breaking
my cursors when working from a terminal.
It is supposed that if pop menu is not visible they just return the
same key isnt it?


2012/5/30 Pablo Giménez <pablogipi@gmail.com>:
> 2012/5/29 Gary Johnson <garyjohn@spocom.com>:
>> On 2012-05-29, Pablo Giménez Pizarro wrote:
>>> Enviado desde mi iPhone
>>>
>>> El 29 May 2012, a las 20:05, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@spocom.com> escribió:
>>>
>>> > On 2012-05-29, Pablo Giménez wrote:
>>> >> Hi all.
>>> >> I have an issue using vim in the termninal.
>>> >> Every time I go to Indert mode and try to sue the cursor it just
>>> >> begging to write the letter A,B,C,D and creates a new line.
>>> >> I have been digging and seems it is because of the internal definition
>>> >> of the termcap in Vim.
>>> >> So I tried the next:
>>> >> set term=builtin_ansi
>>> >>
>>> >> But then it is messing up the colors.
>>> >> The term is xterm-256color by default.
>>> >> Is there ane way to get the cursors working properly without changing
>>> >> the termn, or using the xterm terminal?
>>> >> I forgot  to say I am using latest vim 7.3.
>>> >
>>> > The value of $TERM needs to be appropriate for the terminal you are
>>> > actually using.
>>> >
>>> > Vim uses $TERM to determine the terminal's capabilities and escape
>>> > sequences from your system's terminfo or termcap database.  If the
>>> > value of $TERM is not correct, then Vim may obtain an incorrect
>>> > description of your arrow keys.
>>> >
>>> > What is the terminal you are using and what is the value of $TERM?
>>> I am using gnome terminal and xterm, for both TERM is set to xterm-256color
>>
>> If I'm understanding you correctly, the arrow keys work in xterm but
>> not in GNOME Terminal.
> Nop it doesnt work in any terminal, xterm or gnome-terminal.
> I also have mrxvt, but same problem.
>>
>> I should have suggested this earlier:  Try starting vim like this,
>>
>>    vim -N -u NONE
> This is interesting to try.
> Thanks.
> Let you know guys hos it goes.
> Thanks for the advice.
>>
>> to see whether the behavior is due to either your ~/.vimrc or one of
>> your plugins.
>>
>> One other thing you might try is executing
>>
>>    infocmp
>>
>> to see if xterm-256color is properly defined on your system.
>>
>> I run Vim 7.3.524 in a GNOME Terminal 2.26.3.1 on a Fedora 11 system
>> daily without problems, but my TERM is set to "xterm".  I just tried
>> setting TERM to "xterm-256color" and the arrow keys worked fine in
>> both normal and insert modes.  I don't see anything in the Profile
>> Preferences that would change the arrow key behavior.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gary
>>
>> --
>> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
>
>
> --
> Un saludo
> Best Regards
> Pablo Giménez



--
Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: