Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Re: Weird cursors behaviour when using vim in terminal in insert mode

On 2012-05-29, Pablo Giménez Pizarro wrote:
> Enviado desde mi iPhone
>
> El 29 May 2012, a las 20:05, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@spocom.com> escribió:
>
> > On 2012-05-29, Pablo Giménez wrote:
> >> Hi all.
> >> I have an issue using vim in the termninal.
> >> Every time I go to Indert mode and try to sue the cursor it just
> >> begging to write the letter A,B,C,D and creates a new line.
> >> I have been digging and seems it is because of the internal definition
> >> of the termcap in Vim.
> >> So I tried the next:
> >> set term=builtin_ansi
> >>
> >> But then it is messing up the colors.
> >> The term is xterm-256color by default.
> >> Is there ane way to get the cursors working properly without changing
> >> the termn, or using the xterm terminal?
> >> I forgot to say I am using latest vim 7.3.
> >
> > The value of $TERM needs to be appropriate for the terminal you are
> > actually using.
> >
> > Vim uses $TERM to determine the terminal's capabilities and escape
> > sequences from your system's terminfo or termcap database. If the
> > value of $TERM is not correct, then Vim may obtain an incorrect
> > description of your arrow keys.
> >
> > What is the terminal you are using and what is the value of $TERM?
> I am using gnome terminal and xterm, for both TERM is set to xterm-256color

If I'm understanding you correctly, the arrow keys work in xterm but
not in GNOME Terminal.

I should have suggested this earlier: Try starting vim like this,

vim -N -u NONE

to see whether the behavior is due to either your ~/.vimrc or one of
your plugins.

One other thing you might try is executing

infocmp

to see if xterm-256color is properly defined on your system.

I run Vim 7.3.524 in a GNOME Terminal 2.26.3.1 on a Fedora 11 system
daily without problems, but my TERM is set to "xterm". I just tried
setting TERM to "xterm-256color" and the arrow keys worked fine in
both normal and insert modes. I don't see anything in the Profile
Preferences that would change the arrow key behavior.

Regards,
Gary

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: