Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Re: Can vim be made to start with selected files already open?

On May 24, 2012, at 7:26 AM, Michael Henry wrote:

> On 05/24/2012 07:14 AM, Eric Weir wrote:
>>
>> After starting vim I take a bit of time to load the base files
>> I normally work with. It would be a minor convenience if vim
>> could be made to start with these files already loaded.
>
> There are lots of ways, and I'm sure others might suggest some
> of them. I routinely save my state before exiting Vim using
> something like this::
>
> :mksession ~/SomeSessionName.vim
>
> When I restart Vim, I manually reload my session like this::
>
> :source ~/SomeSessionName.vim
>
> On the command line of Vim, you can specify a file to "source",
> so you could do::
>
> vim -S ~/SomeSessionName.vim

Thanks, Henry. Gave this a try. Does exactly what I want. Wish there were a shorthand way to execute the commands, but it's pretty simple otherwise.

> If you get your set of open files and windows the way you like
> them, you can save them with :mksession, then you can launch Vim
> with ``-S`` to reload that sessions, using whatever means best
> suits you and your environment (e.g., a shell script, alias,
> batch file, desktop shortcut, etc.).

I take it all these involve use of the terminal. I've never started vim [MacVim] from terminal. Curious about the last three options, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

- Marilynne Robinson



--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: