Friday, June 22, 2012

Re: Can vim be made to start with selected files already open?

On 2012-06-22, Eric Weir wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> > This command should work:
> >
> > command All :args ~/documents/taskpaper/writing.taskpaper ~/documents/taskpaper/work.taskpaper ~/documents/taskpaper/mine.taskpaper ~/vimwiki/index.wiki <bar> tab all
>
> Got error messages with this, too. Tried to copy them for pasting
> here but was not able to do so. [Is there a way to select and/or
> copy the error messages that are displayed when a problematic
> command is executed?]

If you're using the GUI and the messages appear in a "Message"
dialog box on startup, you can get a copy of those messages later by
doing the following.

set nomore
redir @a
messages
redir END

Now the messages are in the 'a' register and you can paste them to a
new buffer with

new
put a

I just now copied that All command definition into a Windows gvim
instance. The definition was accepted and it executed without
error.

> From the first line I gather that the problem has to do with the
> fact that I use vim-addon-manager, and that in the vam setup in my
> .vimrc the names of the plugins associated with the files I'm
> trying to load are separated by commas. [There are frequent
> instances of "Command too recursive" in the error messages.]
>
> At least that seems to be part of the problem. If there is a way I
> can capture the error messages so I can report them here you can
> tell me if that is right, and if there are other problems.

If you just do the redir thing above, we should be able to find the
problem. It might help to see the lines from your ~/.vimrc that Vim
is complaining about, too, with some indication of their line
numbers.

> I'm guessing that if I'm right about at least this problem, using
> a custom command to do what I want to do may not be available to
> me.

There is no reason at all that you should not be able to use a user
command for this.

I realize that you are not a programmer, but this is a pretty
straightforward programming problem. If it is not working, there is
a simple reason why and a simple solution. We just need to identify
the cause and fix it.

Regards,
Gary

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: