Sunday, June 3, 2012

Re: Folding on markdown headers

On May 27, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

> On May 26, 2012, at 11:11 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> Talking of educational.. in reference to what you wrote elsewhere
>> regarding Vim help, I thought I might mention that there are two
>> distinct parts to Vim's help: the 'user manual' and the 'reference
>> manual'.
>>
>> Maybe the following illustrates the difference between the two:
>>
>> | :h cpo
>> | :h user-manual
>>
>> The user manual provides structured overviews of pretty much every area
>> of Vim without going into too much detail. Studying at my own pace, one
>> chapter at a time helped find my bearings. Mind you, I mean studying..
>> not printing it and just reading through it.. splitting the screen and
>> practising in a scratch buffer until you really know what's there. The
>> good thing is there are links to the reference manual whenever you feel
>> like digging..
>>
>> Once you've worked through that, you will be able to find what you're
>> looking for in the reference manual much more easily and what you find
>> there will make better sense.
>
> Thanks, Chris. I was going to say I had no idea there was a user-manual---until I took a look at the pdf version. In fact, I had a hard copy of the book, but got rid of it because I couldn't understand it. I went looking for it but found that, alas, I have indeed gotten rid of it. May have to get myself another copy. The pdf is too maddening to navigate around in.

Just discovered I hadn't completely gotten rid of it. I'm into a serious "simplifying" jag. Stuff to the dumpster. Stuff in boxes to be taken to Salvation Army, etc. I reorganizing stuff in one box I found the book at the bottom of the box.

Thumbing through it it doesn't strike me as incomprehenisible as it did before. Maybe I've learned something. Maybe now I can learn from the book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position,
but certainty is an absurd one."

- Voltaire

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: