Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Re: OT: The so called "steep learning curve" of vim...

Excerpts from Christian Brabandt's message of Tue Oct 02 21:29:28 +0200 2012:
> > Even notepad can do things Vim can't: Open registry dump files!
> Why can't Vim?
Hmm you're right. You could write a decode and use it (like showing
hexdumps ..) - still I use bvi whenever I want to edit binary files.

Try Win + R -> "regedit" click on any folder -> File export -> save as
.reg file. Then you have a binary format which you can open in Vim but
which is unreadable for humans. Notepad decodes it.

I hope nobody got me wrong - I love Vim - and almost all the time half
of my processes are running Vim instances .. Still there is a point when
you hit a "frontier" - when tools are missing.

Eg I like the WYSIWYG behaviour of lyx which Vim will never provide
(unless a lot of development takes place)
which is why I want to say: think about learning curves as much as you
want - but don't miss domain specific solutions beside Vim if
appropriate.

Marc Weber

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: