Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Re: Windows installer - silent mode

On Wednesday, 28 March 2012 13:23:48 UTC+1, Michael Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From what I understand, the Windows installer (gvim73_46.exe) is built
> using NSIS, and NSIS supports a "/S" flag to enable unattended installation.
>
> It works, except that it still pops up a confirmation dialog at the
> start: "This will install Vim 7.3 on your computer. Continue?"
>
> Is there a way to suppress that dialog? I don't think it's needed even
> for regular (not silent) installs, as the next screen in regular mode is
> a license acceptance screen that makes it pretty clear you're going to
> be installing Vim.
>
> The NSIS MessageBox supports an "/SD" option (example here:
> http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Embedding_other_installers). Unfortunately,
> this is something that has to be baked into the gvim.nsi - it can't be
> changed from the command-line.
>
> I'm trying to deploy Vim through Puppet running as a service, so the
> confirmation dialog doesn't get shown and the installer hangs.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I had a similar problem - in my case just push Vim install
files along with a batch file out to my Windows servers, the
user then runs the batch file and it installs Vim silently.
Probably too late for the OP but I thought I'd record my
solution.

Possibly the Vim without Cream install could do silent
install? I didn't want the default options there so I
didn't try it. (Some threads on the Cream website say they
haven't managed to make silent install with options work
properly for some NSIS-related reasons so you'd be stuck
with the defaults.)

I did find this promising looking link
https://github.com/gpwen/vim-installer-mui2/wiki/feature but
I'm not sure which Vim install packages it applies to, if
any. Didn't spend a great deal of time on it.

Anyway what I ended up doing was not using the install
packages, instead I downloaded the file packages from the
www.vim.org website then used the command line install tool
provided.

To be precise I got these files and unzipped them to form
the directory tree vim\vim73.

gvim73_46.zip
vim73_46rt.zip
vim73_46w32.zip

I then added vim\vimruntime with the config files I wanted.
(I also had to add diff.exe into vim\vim73 since they didn't
seem to come with it. I just used diff.exe from another
install.)

I then zipped it all up again and deploy that zip
file out onto my servers along with a batch file. The batch
file unzips the files to make C:\Program Files (x86)\vim\
with vim73 and vimruntime sub-directories, then runs this
command to do the installing (all one line):

call install.exe -install-popup -install-openwith -create-batfiles vim gvim evim view gview vimdiff gvimdiff

regards,
Geoff

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: