Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Re: Text Editing on an Infinite Plane (A Project)

I write a LOT of prose. For example, right now, over the past month, I have dev-000 ... dev-026. Instead of remembering where everything is (did I have that thought in dev-013?) I would, ideally, remember the things spatially -- the form of the columns, the blanks, and maybe various other landmarks.

There are mnemonists who say that the quickest way to memorize a deck of cards is by imagining placing them in a house. Again, it's mostly for prose, lots and lots of prose, and not for content with a more natural (and typically hierarchical) organization.

It is not meant to simulate a 2D or 3D environent for the hell of it, but it is trying to follow up a theory in memory organization. Years ago I had this idea, when I looked through the hundreds of random text fragments I had, all with random names, in a huge folder. And I thought it would be nice if I had one huge text file for all my memories, with a book report on Bolivia next to an essay on Heart of Darkness or something.

I thought I would have to implement a text editor from scratch, and I thought about things like memory, and ease of navigation, and typing in columns, etc.. So I had this idea, and recently, I realized that it could be implemented quite simply with splits and scrollbind in vim. And so here it is, in beta. I am writing somewhat less now, and so I wish I had it years ago, but I am going to try to work in a system, see what kind of features I need, and so on.

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:00:29 PM UTC-5, csebastian3 wrote:
> Why stop at 2D? With a webpage-based implementation it would be easy
>
> to jump to full 3D text editing capabilities, with more efficient
>
> panning, zooming, etc.
>
>
>
> If you're only going to do 2D, I don't see much benefit of this script
>
> compared to vim's standard Window commands, like:
>
>
>
> split
>
> vsplit
>
> Ctrl-w h/j/k/l
>
> Ctrl-w H/J/K/L
>
> Ctrl-w |
>
>
>
>
>
> I have gotten used to the above commands over the years, and I always
>
> use vim in a "2D" fashion. My vim session typically looks like a grid
>
> of vim windows, with the horizontal and vertical axes representing
>
> some kind of logical arrangement for the project.
>
>
>
> ~Christopher Sebastian
>
> SiChuan, China

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: