Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Very slow gvim refresh when using NoMachine

I use NX to connect from the Windows machine on my desk to my
Linux workstation located in a back room. I usually use vim
in a GNOME Terminal and I've had few issues with this setup.

Recently, however, I've noticed that when I use gvim on the remote
machine, its screen updates are painfully slow, to the point of
being unusable. It will behave normally for a while, then suddenly
screen updates following each keystroke take a couple of seconds.

I do almost all my development from the command line, using either
GNOME Terminal or xterm. I also use Firefox and WireShark. None of
these applications seem to have any speed issues.

Because I seldom use gvim on Linux, I only noticed this after a
couple of updates to my environment, so I can't say what change
caused it. Before these updates, gvim worked as well as vim in this
environment. The primary change was from Windows XP to Windows 7.
The version of the NoMachine NX Windows client is currently 3.5.0-9.
I don't know if this is different from the version I ran on Windows
XP.

The version of the NX server on the Linux machine is 3.4.0-11. All
the other NX components on the Linux machine are version
3.4.0-something. The Linux distribution is Fedora 11 and the Linux
desktop environment is KDE 4.3.1.

I keep my vim installation fairly up to date, currently running
7.4.52, but the same issues exist when running gvim 7.2.148 as
"gvim -u NONE", so it's not due to any recent changes to Vim nor to
my configuration.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? If so, do you know of a fix?

Regards,
Gary


$ gvim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Oct 21 2013 18:15:27)
Included patches: 1-52
Compiled by gary@company.com
Normal version with GTK2 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl -farsi -mouse_netterm +syntax
-arabic +file_in_path -mouse_sgr +tag_binary
+autocmd +find_in_path -mouse_sysmouse +tag_old_static
+balloon_eval +float -mouse_urxvt -tag_any_white
+browse +folding +mouse_xterm -tcl
+builtin_terms -footer +multi_byte +terminfo
+byte_offset +fork() +multi_lang +termresponse
+cindent +gettext -mzscheme +textobjects
+clientserver -hangul_input +netbeans_intg +title
+clipboard +iconv +path_extra +toolbar
+cmdline_compl +insert_expand -perl +user_commands
+cmdline_hist +jumplist +persistent_undo +vertsplit
+cmdline_info -keymap +postscript +virtualedit
+comments -langmap +printer +visual
-conceal +libcall -profile +visualextra
+cryptv +linebreak +python +viminfo
+cscope +lispindent -python3 +vreplace
+cursorbind +listcmds +quickfix +wildignore
+cursorshape +localmap +reltime +wildmenu
+dialog_con_gui -lua -rightleft +windows
+diff +menu -ruby +writebackup
+digraphs +mksession +scrollbind +X11
+dnd +modify_fname +signs -xfontset
-ebcdic +mouse +smartindent +xim
-emacs_tags +mouseshape -sniff +xsmp_interact
+eval -mouse_dec +startuptime +xterm_clipboard
+ex_extra +mouse_gpm +statusline -xterm_save
+extra_search -mouse_jsbterm -sun_workshop +xpm
system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "~/.vim/gvimrc"
system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
fall-back for $VIM: "/home/gary/src/vim-7.4/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -g -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
Linking: gcc -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lXdmcp -lSM -lICE -lm -ltinfo -lelf -lnsl -lselinux -lacl -lattr -lgpm -L/usr/lib/python2.6/config -lpython2.6 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: