Thursday, March 27, 2014

Re: Extremely slow when using relativenumber & syntax highlighting

Il giorno mercoledì 26 marzo 2014 22:52:59 UTC+1, patrick...@gmail.com ha scritto:

>
> I can't see how the terminal emulator would have an effect. It's just changing a few characters on the screen, shouldn't be hard. Plus it doesn't always do it, only on some files. I'm not using an anti-aliased font either. And as mentioned, it occurs in gvim as well.

I just tried to be helpful. I regularly use vim under tmux on a fairly large screen, so I played a bit with various terminals / fonts / config just to try to squeeze as much speed as possibile, and indeed I noticed some differencies. I have to say they were all but huge, but in any case I've never seen vim so slow to be "painful" (except maybe in the first releases of vim 7.4 when the new re engine was a bit buggy).

anyway, just to talk, IIRC "just chainging a few character on the screen" may not be so easy for some terminals. different terminals have different capabilities. I think under some term if you want to scroll you have to redraw everything... but anyway, I never really studied this argument so I may be very wrong :)

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: