Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Re: Poll: What's good about plugin managers?

2014-03-25 11:33, Nikolay Pavlov skrev:
> Please point where anybody said a word about automatic updating. VAM and
> Vundle do not do this for sure.
>

Well excuse me for getting the impression from statements like
this from Ben in the mail I quoted:

"Vundle and the rest take too much config for my tastes to get
them to update when I want from what source I want."

Why being so confrontational, BTW? You could just have said "VAM
and Vundle don't do automatic updating", if you think I'm
mistaken. I don't agree about that, incidentally:

<https://github.com/gmarik/Vundle.vim/blob/master/doc/vundle.txt#L228>

3.4 UPDATING PLUGINS ~
*vundle-plugins-update* *:PluginUpdate*
*:PluginInstall!*
>
:PluginInstall! " NOTE: bang(!)
or >
:PluginUpdate

Installs or updates the configured plugins. Press 'u' after
updates complete
to see the change log of all updated bundles. Press 'l'
(lowercase 'L') to
see the log of commands if any errors occurred.

That's one command to update all plugins at once. That's way too
automatic for me! No point in splitting hairs over the exact
semantics of the phrase "automatic updates". In my book updating
anything without my saying "update *this* exact plugin from
*that* source" is too automatic updating for me, although the
source issue becomes less of a problem if there is one source
where I can get Vim and all and any plugins, and I should also be
able to say "update all plugins for which there is a newer
version available" if I want to.

My point was not "don't autoupdate", but "different users have
different preferences and requirements when it comes to plugin
management as well as when it comes to editing, so please provide
an API where different tools meeting those different preferences
and requirements can be supported rather than single out The One
True Plugin Manager". Some people would probably want automated
updates, so make it possible for them to have it, and others will
want various diminishing degrees of automation, down to none at
all, so let everyone have what they want. It's all fine with me
as long as I can also get what I want. My other main point is
that it should be possible, 'out of the box', to install a plugin
just by cloning a repository or unpacking an archive in a single
place, rather than moving umphteen files to so many different
directories in one's ~/.vim folder. It may be possible to install
by just dropping stuff into the ~/.vim folder and letting the
OS file manager 'combine' everything into the right places,
but *un*installing becomes *very* hard.

/bpj

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: