Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Re: Poll: What's good about plugin managers?

> Currently, the official 'canonical plugin source' is the scripts site on
> vim.org. If you listen to the community, you will hear that some good
> people avoid vim.org because it isn't up to standards. And I think
> they're right. I am very sympathetic to vim.org being the canonical
> source for released Vim plugins -- unlike GitHub et al. it is not
> for-profit, and there is no requirement for a particular SCM.

as a simple end user, I think I totally agree with glts. every now and then I look on vim.org to see if there's some new plugin, maybe because I think I need it or maybe just to play with something new. but when I find something interesting, the first thing I do is look for the github link and then install it with vundle.

if updating vim.org is way too much work, having github o bitbucket or whatever site can make the download/update a standardized process will be good imho. I have git on all my machines, and mercurial or other vcs are easily installable, so maybe my point of view is skewed, but I can't see something simpler and more handy than a "git clone". If a plugin is distributed as a vimball or zip I avoid it.

github + vundle keeps everything clean and automated and that's my main reason to use a plugin manager. Once I used pathogen (just because everyone was recomending it, so it was the first one I tried), but then I got tired of manually manage the plugins so I looked for something else

the only things I think might be missing (as a end user) are maybe automatic dependencies management and a way to install a precise version. I just keep my plugins always up to date to whatever the authors commit on their github pages, and up until now I've had no problems, but I suppose this might not be the best solution every time and for everyone.

Again, this is my point of view as a simple end user of vim and its plugins.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: