Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Re: Vim Spreadsheets

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:47:42AM +0000, mascip wrote:
> Hi there,

> I'm thinking *using Vim for spreadsheets*, for a few *reasons*:
> - you can *diff* it ! (For me, that's the main reason)
> - vim key mappings
> - vimscript, so I can easily program it myself
> - easy to add my own key mappings
> - faster to open and save than Libreoffice

> I've done a bit of research and found these so far:

> - *csv.vim*:
> - *spreadsheet**.**vim*:
> - *vim**-orgmode* (vim plugin) => todo list, project planning
> - *table-mode*:
> - *Tcalc*:
> - *sc* or *slsc*:

> Has anyone used any of these?

sorry, no, I had my own needs and decided to address them head-on

several years ago, as I was transitioning from Windows to Linux, I had
an ugly several months as I transitioned from Excel to oocalc, and from
Visual Basic for Applications to the most arcane and ridiculous language
ever developed that was so bad I have since repressed its name

at the same time I was becoming a vim fan, and it occurred to me why not
build my own, I know what I want from it, and there can be no medium
that will give the level of "always available" as ascii text -- the
tools we use to access and manipulate it may evolve, but if your data is
stored in ascii it will never be rendered inaccessible due to upgrades

I wanted a budget spreadsheet to track, reconcile, and project into the
future my checking account -- the first iteration of supporting scripts
I wrote in TCL, as that was what I was learning at the time -- I've
since re-written them in python, as vim/python scripts, because ZyX was
doing so much work on the python interface I figured the more people
using it the quicker problems will be caught

I'm sure as it stands my small application won't suit your needs, but
may stand as inspiration for you to create your own, with just the
features you want and no more -- have a look at

http://toothpik.github.io

and scroll to konsole 4 where I start describing it -- if this is any
use to you, well, yea

--
_|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
|_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<
|

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: