Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Re: Vim Spreadsheets

Thanks a lot for your input, all :-)

Very good point lith: I use spreadsheets for many different purposes, and I need different solutions for different problems. That's probably why my question was vague: "Has anyone used any of these? How was it?"

So far I think I could replace some of my spreadsheets with two types of tools:

1. a custom app (it's your proposal lith: "keep the data in csv files and then manipulate the data from a script"). 
      => I have a farily compex accounting spreadsheet, which I plan to turn into an app.
      I will be much easier to interact with it than using a spraedsheet. Also, it is more lightweight, and thus easier to input some data without having to wait for Liberoffice to load and then save the file.

2. a spreadsheet (Vim solution)
      - csv.vim seems good for simple tasks but doesn't have full-blown spreadsheet capabilities. It doesn't enable me to program formulas in cells; but maybe I can create custom vimscripts for that? It' sounds annoying to have to re-invent the formula-wheel for each spreadsheet - has anyone gone that way?
            => I might use this solution for simple spreadsheets, like a list of interesting modules to look at later, and a small description for each.
      - scls seems like a promising solution, I'd have to look how reliable the community is - any feedback on that?
      - spreadsheet.vim seems to have spraedsheet capabilities: cells are easily programmable; but the community seems even smaller - or inexistant.

2bis. keep on using Libreoffice
      - it's heavy and slow, and doesn't have key mappings, but it works out of the box (user friendly display).
      It could be diff-able, if I save files as CSV, and thus don't use formulas, which makes it lose a lot of its appeal. There might be a trick to use formulas in CSV documents, maybe by programming plugins or using macros; but I think I'd rather spend energy exploring Vim-like solutions. 

Any more thoughts?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: